Today I shall be sharing one of my ultimate and beloved lentil recipes. While this dish happens to be vegan and - if I may say so myself - very yummy, it is also extremely nutritious! Lentils are an excellent source of protein and fiber (1/3 of your daily fiber intake), while sweet potatoes provide "good" carbs needed in every healthy diet! "Good" carbs typically refer to long chain carbohydrates that will take longer for your digestive system to break down, satisfying your hunger for longer and causing a much lower blood sugar level spike than other types of carbs like white potatoes, pasta or white bread.
Although this Ecotarian is currently cooking in California, all the ingredients used here actually happen to be in season both on the sunny Western coast of the United States and the great island that is the United Kingdom! Enjoy this seasonal recipe for a wonderful dish that can be prepared in less than 30 minutes!
Ingredients to serve 2-3 dining buddies:
- 120g green lentils
- 3 medium sized sweet potatoes - peeled and chopped into chunks
- 1 white onion - chopped, diced, minced, it's all the same to me!
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or olive oil - you are wild and free!
- An apple a day keeps the doctor away ;)
- 75g frozen peas
- Handful of raisins (if you like a sweet & savoury twist)
- 1 pinch of salt to your pallet's liking
Let's get cooking:
- Start by placing the lentils in a pot with about 2.5 times the volume of water and the crumbled stock cube
- Boil the lentils for 15-20 mins until the water has evaporated and the lentils expanded, then let it simmer on low heat for another 5 mins
- Meanwhile, in a separate pan on high heat, place a tablespoon of your chosen oil
- Once the oil is hot, throw in your onion and saute for a few minutes
- Add your sweet potatoes to your browned onions and as they are cooking progressively add in a half cup of water
- Once you see your sweet potatoes start to soften, add in your peas and chopped apple and leave these to cook for another 5 mins
- Whip in your handful of raisins (acting as a fruity source of sweetness)
- On low-medium heat place a lid on your pan and leave the mix to simmer and the flavours to infuse for another 5-10 minutes
- Add in your boiled lentils and pinch of salt and mix it all together with a wooden spoon (to avoid scratching your precious pan!)
- Leave the mix for another few minutes until you see it all blending into a wonderful medley of colours and flavours, sweet potatoes mushy, apple slices browned and peas revived
- Your dish is ready to be served!
Savour this nutritious meal with a side of green salad and you're all set to go for the evening!
If you want to know more about all the wonderful benefits of lentils (a pulse in the legumes family) check out this link.
Your Food-y Ecotarian